Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Balancing {Ball} Act

If you have been reading my blog posts from the past couple weeks,
you may have noticed that I have been a bit stressed.
I think it has something to do with research, the humidity,
and feeling like I haven't accomplished all that I was hoping to
as my summer hits the last month mark.
But in the midst of feeling a bit overwhelmed,
I have turned to my all-time favorite work-out video:
Balance Ball for Weight Loss
with Suzanne Deason.

Ehhh.
There's those words: Weight loss,
which can cause stress in themselves.
But I promise you, this video is phenomenal on so many different levels.

First. Suzanne is such a calm fitness instructor--
a personality I really need in my life when I am stressed.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jillian and her intensity,
but sometimes I don't need someone yellin' at me
to get my big butt movin'.

Second. The video utilizes voice overs.
All of the Gaiam videos that I have ever tried use voiceovers.
It's kind of a pet-peeve of mine when the instructor of a video is talking and
working-out at the same time.

Third. You don't even break a sweat--
Well at least I don't when I do this video,
and let me tell you, this girlfriend can give a football player a run
for his money in the sweating category.

I could name so many other reasons why I love this video,
{like the fact that I snagged it for $2.50 at a thrift store 4 years ago}
but I think I will continue to rave about it in another post.
As for now, I would love to share three moves with you.

The Hundred
Laying on your back with your heels on the ball, inhale/exhale and roll your shoulders up.
Inhale through your nose for a count of five while keeping your abs tight and and moving your hands up and down with the counting.
It should go like this:
Inhale 1-2-3-4-5
Exhale 1-2-3-4-5
Inhale 2-2-3-4-5

Exhale 2-2-3-4-5

(continue up to 10)
The breathing is very important
and keep your shoulders and neck loose.
Push-up position with added bent elbows
Start with your body in the position in the first picture.
Inhale-Bend elbows-press away into straight arms.
Exhale-pull in (ribs lifted)
{You should be back to the first position}
Again, breathing is important and helps guide the movements
and makes them flow easily.
Do several reps.
 

Twists
Start at center (first picture)
Inhale/Exhale-rotate twist.
Inhale-center.
Inhale/exhale-rotate twist (other side)
Inhale-center.

Do several times.

I hope these make sense.
I highly recommend purchasing the video,
to get the best out of the workout.

I hope you are all having a lovely Tuesday!


P.S. As always, thanks to Heart+Mind+Soul for the use of the facilities.
I adore the space for workout videos.

2 comments:

  1. I've never done this kind of exercise but it seems pretty good!

    Laura

    http://fallinlove.com.ar/?lang=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Balance Balls are so great for core strength and when you are looking for a break from intense cardio workouts!

      XO
      Amanda

      Delete

I love your kind words :)