Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Day I {almost} had a Heart Attack

Have you ever been sound asleep and suddenly jolted up and started getting ready for your day...only to realize it's merely 2am? Ohhh I could tell you stories about the number of times this has happened to me. Well actually, I will share a few with you now. When I was in the 4th grade, I remember having to get up extra early for a Girl Scouts trip to Valley Fair. I heard what I thought to be my alarm go off and I was out of my bed faster than you can stay "Stop!" Turns out it was just a phone call at about 10pm. And here's the kicker, the first thing I did was make my bed! I never made my bed in elementary school! Other times I have gotten in the shower and brushed my teeth before realizing something wasn't quite right. I've even been so sleep deprived that I've taken a 15-minute power nap and thought it was the next morning when I woke up. Sometimes even I scare myself. When my grandma was in college, she shared a room with 3 other girls and her roomie, Naomi was always the first to hit the hay. So my grandma would set her alarm clock and have the rest of her roommates pretend to sleep and try to contain their laughter as Naomi would head down the hall in a bathrobe to the showers at about midnight. Evil. Evil I tell you.

I had a similiar incident today. Only the embarrassing part is that it wasn't even nighttime. It was right smack dab in the middle of my glorious day. Remember how I said I scare myself a moment ago? Yeah, this is one of those instances. I mean, I was about a hop, skip and a jump away from having a heart attack. 

Here's where my tale begins. It was my day off, so naturally I was pretty lazy most of the day. However at about 3pm, I decided it was about time I work-up a little sweat. So that is exactly what I did--my new Nike Frees and I went for a nice 4-mile run. When I got back, I rested a little bit and then I glanced at the calendar, and this is the part where I almost keeled over, belly-up. It was the 19th and I was suppose to be at work in approximately 5 minutes.

Yet here I was sitting here--a sweaty mess. So I ran around the house a little bit like a chicken with my head cut-off. I looked through my phone to call work to say I would be a little late. But of course I never felt the need to add the number for emergencies like this. 

Finally, I decided to just hop in the shower quick and suck it up...there was no way I could go shower-less. When I sweat, I sweat while running. 
Worried about facing the nuns as I
walk through the doors late
As I was hurrying along in the shower I got to thinking, "Hey wait...maybe it's not the 19th of July." So hopped out of the shower and found the nearest calendar. Sure enough, it really was only the 12th, and yes, it really was my day off. Phew!! I was starting to think a whole week had gone by in my life and I couldn't remember a thing.

Aren't you glad I reinacted it for you via pictures? Stories are so much better with pictures, don't you think? Well maybe when they are cute drawings of bunnies and fairies or something along those lines. Note to self: keep my excellent quality webcam illustrations to myself. Yes, next time you can just imagine how dumb I probably looked instead of actually witnessing it for yourself.

Now to get your mind off my stupidity, I'd like to leave you with a birthday shutout to my Grandpa Duane. He turned 77 today. Happy Birthday, grandpa!

The best thing that ever happened to this family...my birth!
Grandpa's little football player and honey bear.
And yes I that is an oh, so lovely strawberry birthmark on my nose.
I wasn't the cutest baby around.
Always makin' me laugh. Grandpa is probably THE funniest man around town...
in my humble opinion.
Grandpa hides eggs every year for Easter. Now he just gives me the money and candy--
he understands that college has made me lazy
The birthday boy in the flesh!
Love you grandpa! I wouldn't be here today without you. No really, I wouldn't be here.


2 comments:

  1. Awww... you are the most fortunate girl on earth! Both my paternal & maternal grandfathers passed away when I was a Baby. I never had the experience of having a grandfather & love. So I wanna say thanks to you for sharing your grandfather's love to us all.
    Here I wanna say 'A Happy Belated Birthday to Amanda's Grandfather'!
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are too sweet! Thanks for commenting!
      I really need to count my blessings more often <3

      xo,
      Amanda

      Delete

I love your kind words :)