Monday, July 23, 2012

How to Love your Job

"Keep 'em comin'"
"How we comin'?"
"You're doin' a good job, Manda."
"I was just so eager to start working, I left break early."
"Action, Action, We want action.
"
I can't even imagine the thoughts going through your minds as you read the above statements.
"WHO said that?" or perhaps, "Eager to start working? You've got to be kidding me?!?"And the last statement just makes me giggle. 
You may just have to have been there to hear that one.
Welcome to my last couple days of work.

Saturday night, I attended a wedding about an hour away from my workplace and I must admit,
I certainly didn't have that same perky attitude as I trudged into work at 6:30am the past two days after a couple nights of late driving.
So before I go any further, allow me to introduce you to this enthusiastic co-worker of mine. 
I'm from a small town, and I know that details are important in stories.
You have to know the who's, what's, when's and where's with every tale.
However, for the sake of this post, my co-worker shall be referred to as Dorothy, which is not actually her name.

As I was saying, Dorothy loves work more than anyone I know.
6:30am start time?
She's at work by 6:10am.
Did I mention that she works in the dish room of a nursing home
as a Dietary Aid?
Now imagine waking up tomorrow morning to wash piles upon piles of dirty dishes courtesy of nursing home residents.
I bet you are just ready to run to work right now.
Perhaps I could be mistaken.

Here's the thing about Dorothy.
She is special.
And I don't just mean she is a special in the sense that it takes a unique type of person to truly appreciate serving others at a nursing home.
She really does have special needs.

But as I was working with Dorothy this morning and early afternoon,
I couldn't help but admire her work ethic and her desire to work.
And I'm not just saying that because
"I think it's really admirable that a special person is such a hard worker,"
I'm saying that because I admire anyone who is truly passionate about what they do for a living.
To me, it doesn't matter whether you are a doctor, janitor, lawyer, teacher, or even a dietary aid.
If you enjoy your work and are able to even look forward to your day or at least see some positive aspects to it--besides the paycheck--then I think you are on the right path.

I must admit, I am guilty of having a poor attitude at work. 
This probably stems from my Subway days.
Ohh, Subway.
I can remember being so crabby and overwhelmed
 when it would get busy at work on certain days.
I don't think I will ever forget the couple of times I almost passed out when it would get so hot as a result of the broken air conditioner.
(I really don't miss that job at all.)
While I may not have had a commendable attitude at the time, 
working in food service has offered me some perspective
If anything, it has made me realize that if my sandwich artist looks miserable, he probably has been dealing with the same situations I had been when i was in his shoes.
All in the name of delicious sandwiches.

And while the title of my post may be a bit misleading--no I really don't have a step-by-step guide for loving your job--but I think there is something we can all learn from Dorothy and those passionate workers out there.
Find some good to your day.
I know this may be difficult when your day becomes hectic.
Today, I had Dorothy yelling in a perky tone every 5-minutes
--or better yet, belting out songs--
with a mixture of the dish machine and the Bingo announcer blaring in the background.
If I weren't in a decent mood today, that would have been enough to make me snap.
But even when those stressful moments arrive throughout your day,
just try to take a deep breath and carry on.
I promise your day will only be worse if you dwell on the negativity.

Take it from the master of dwelling.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post.... hit the nail right on the head there!!
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)