Saturday, July 21, 2012

Running with God


Yesterday morning I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Actually, let me rephrase that.
My alarm went off at 5:40am. I got up,
pressed what I thought was the snooze button,
and then woke up again at 6:40am.
What time did my work shift start?
6:30am.
Yes.
Yesterday was a rocky day.
Right from the very start.

The rest of my day, I was a bit out of sorts.
Little "Miss Perfect Attendance" 3-years straight (I'm not kidding) was late for work.
I could have just moved on with my day, having the attitude that "it happens to the best of us,"
but I allowed the mistake to ruin the rest of my day.

However, as the day progressed in that steamy nursing home kitchen,
I heard some startling news on the radio.

The movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

Maybe my life isn't so bad.
Maybe I could change my attitude a little.
Just maybe.

After rushing through a busy day at work and skipping my lunch break, I finally arrived back home.
I had an awful lot on my mind.
Co-workers, residents, personal predicaments, my friend's wedding, college, the Colorado shooting---you name it, it was in some corner of my mind.

That's when I knew it was time for a run/little chat with God.
When my life feels as if it is getting too crazy and out my control, I need to run it off.
It's like when people feel guilty about something, they may go to confession at church for relief.
Well I'm not Catholic, so "running with God," --as I like to phrase it--is my best option.
So in the 99 degree heat, God and I trekked out on a run.
Now here is the part where I interrupt this post for an important public announcement. I do not advocate running in such heat and humidity. Especially if you are not accustomed to that particular weather.
So this is where I don't practice what I preach. My apologies.
Heat and humidity.
I didn't care.
It felt so good.

I had been running for about half a mile, and then said, 
 "Okay God. We have about 30-minutes, and a lot to accomplish."
Don't worry. This was all in my head.
I wasn't the crazy runner talking to herself in the heat of the day.
Not today.

God and I sorted out much of my pessimistic thinking
during the course of that run.
And afterwards, I felt relieved.
My body felt lighter.
And it wasn't just the gallon of sweat I more than likely had just produced.

Isn't it so great that we have access to the best running buddy?
I don't need Bob Harper next to me on my runs.
I don't need Jillian Michaels there either.
God is always able to pencil me into his schedule.

When I was growing up, I always thought of God as this higher power,
 who is like a King sitting on a throne. 
Or like a celebrity.
An omniscient power over me.
The leader.
Out of reach.

But over the years, I have come to a magnificent realization.
God walks with us.
Sometimes, even runs with us.

When I think of a political leader or a celebrity,
they always seem like someone I am able to admire, but they don't actually have the time of day to listen to my story.
My pitiful problems
My sins.
God listens. 

God has every reason to sit up on His throne all day and have servants do all the work.
But as God tells us in Isaiah 43:2-3,
"When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,

    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."
I find so much comfort in this verse.
So on this Saturday, I hope you too find comfort in knowing that God is with you.
Always.
When you are working.
Studying.
Sleeping.
And yes, even running.

Happy weekend!



4 comments:

  1. Beatiful sentiments Amanda. I am a pessimist and need to be reminded that my life could be so much worse & that I do have someone who will always listen. Thanks so much for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a pessimist as well, but it is something I am definitely trying to work on.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi I am a new follower I saw your blog link on the Lauren Conrad forum!

    XO

    elymartz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)