Saturday, July 7, 2012

Stepping into Character

Have you ever watched a movie or read a book and thought, “Hey! I could do that!”? You may have had magnificent thoughts racing through your mind of yourself in the same position as the main character. This has been the case for me all of my life. When I was growing up, it seemed like I wanted to be anybody but myself. When I watched The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan, I begged my mom to braid my hair in pig tales just like my favorite twin. After reading The Diary of a Young Girl, I started keeping a journal I called “kitty” just on the off chance that my diary would be famously published someday. I would do anything to “get into character.” So when I watched the movie Julie & Julia for the first time, is it any wonder why I envisioned myself starting my own blog just as Julie Powell had?

After awhile, I eventually gave up on being a famous blogger. What business does a small town college student have on being on the internet anyway?! But lately, I've been reading more blogs than I am willing to admit. (Yeahh...I don't have much of a life.) What have I discovered from these blogs? Well heck, you can basically write about anything and everything.  Suddenly my mindset went from “Hey! I could do that!” to “Hey! What’s stopping me from doing that?” 

I originally started this blog on Tumblr back in April 2011. Tumblr is a great place to get started because everything is pretty straight forward. However, I like to customize and personalize and any other word ending in -ize my blog. Control issues?!? Maybe that's why I'm single... Since I wanted to have more options and hopefully reach a broader audience, I decided Blogger was the place to be. Plus, all of my favorite blogs are via Blogger and I soon discovered that I can't truly be a fan and subscribe to their blogs unless I have a Google account. So of course I had to follow the crowd.  Switching over to a new blog network kind of feels like moving to a new school. I feel like Cady Heron on Mean Girls, but I promise I won't turn into a mean girl and I hope you won't throw me in front of a bus. 

Maybe I'll never grow out of that "stepping into character" phase. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your kind words :)