Friday, August 17, 2012

Nicholas Sparks and I...

Hooray for Friday!
Honestly, does it really matter if it's Friday or not at this point?
I work most weekends anyway.
BUT I do have tomorrow off, AND school starts soon,
which means I will be back to rejoicing for the end of the week again.
So as I was saying...
Hooray for Friday!

Today I would like to give a little 27th Anniversary shout-out
to my roommates,
better known as mom and dad.
Man, you two are getting old.


Well, now that you all know where I get my good looks from
{JOKING...about my good looks, not there's}
I will continue with a post I had on my tumblr account earlier this summer.
Like I said,
it is Friday and my poor brain is saving its energy for the start of school.
And trust me,
it will need all of the brainpower it can get for Biochemistry this year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 6, 2012
Nicholas Sparks and I...

…have a love/hate relationship. I truly admire his ability to tell a story in the most beautiful of ways. You cannot tell me that you did not fall in-love reading the story of Savannah Curtis and John Tyree unfold in Dear John.

Or what about the unexpected love between Theresa Osborne and Garret Blake in Message in a Bottle? C’mon! You must have at least shed a tear reading that book!!! (maybe that was just me…)

But here is where the problem lies: If you are like me, you let these books (or any novel for that matter) consume your life. Even back in middle school, I needed a bit of a reality check. I LOVED the book The Diary of a Young Girl. I even named my diary ‘Kitty’ and was convinced that someday my journal would be published, just like Anne Frank’s.



Yeah…I was quite the dreamer.

And don’t even get me started on my obsession with The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. (You can thank my friend, Alyssa for introducing me to those books.)
We’re about as cute as my idyllic aspirations in life!

I’ll never forget the day I stopped at the local consignment store and purchased a pair of used jeans. Don’t all thrift store jeans fit best friends that have a five-inch height difference???
Embarrassingly enough, I could probably share more stories, but I think you get the idea. ;)
There is certainly a difference between reading a book and trying to live the storyline.
I probably should have reminded myself of that before I started writing to a boy in basic training a couple years ago—
apparently not all boys in the military are like John Tyree and Logan Thibault.
Who would have guessed?!
While Sparks’s books are full of romantic quotes, one of my favorites and most truthful comes from the book, “The Rescue.”
“People come, people go – they’ll drift in and out of your life, almost like characters in a favorite book. When you finally close the cover, the characters have told their story and you start up again with another book, complete with new characters and adventures. Then you find yourself focusing on the new ones, not the ones from the past.”
How true is that?!
We don’t have to live out the storyline of someone else’s story…
we have our own.
But just in case one of Nicholas Sparks’s sons needs to “start up again with another book,”
I’m available! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your kind words :)