Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Good Ol' Days

Lately I have been experiencing some childhood nostalgia.
Between hearing about my mom putting the finishing touches on her classroom
{she teaches fourth grade}
and receiving a picture message from my 12-year old cousin
excitedly showing me her new braces,
I have been reminiscing about my own childhood quite a bit lately.
Speaking of braces,
I think my excitement about those buggers lasted about 3 days
before I was counting down the days until I would have them removed.
I was a tall, skinny girl--
I didn't need braces to highlight my awkward appearance.
See what I mean??
That's me in the 8th grade on the left
.
Man, life was so easy back then.
Actually, I take that back.
according to my hundreds of journal entries,
life was pretty horrible.
You heard me right.
I was that moody girl who kept a journal.
I whipped out a few of my journals the other day
for some light reading.
Pretty impressive stack, eh?
Perhaps, I was a very, very moody girl.

Reading these old entries just make me giggle.
I can't help but shake my head at some of my "problems."
If I had a dollar for every time I was jealous or upset with friends for
being excluded in middle school,
I would be one rich girl.
Girls in middle school are not nice creatures.
And just check-out this excerpt from my Freshman year of high school,
where I tell about this boy I had a crush on:
"I have to tell you a secret. I have a crush on a guy. He's older than me, by two years actually. He's a junior. I don't even know why I like him. He's really not that hot, but he has an amazing personality. He's in band with me and that's the only way I know him. He is the only reason I somewhat can tolerate band trips. He's so funny and outgoing and I'd have asked him to dance with me at the Homecoming dance last night if I weren't so shy. Today, we even had a conversation."
Oh. My. Gosh.
I can't believe I just shared that with the world.
How embarrassing.
"We even had a conversation"?!?!
I'm blushing from embarrassment as I write this.
Want to know something funny?
I actually did end up dating this guy for 5-months during my Sophomore year.
I must have about had a heart attack the day he asked me out.
Please tell me that you were this embarrassing at age 14!!!

While I was at my grandma's this afternoon,
we also talked a bit about growing up.
Soon, this led to digging out the home videos.
The first half of my tape was of me sleeping in every shot.
I took two naps the other day after sleeping until 10 am.
I guess not much has really changed since I was 3-months old.
There was also footage of my second birthday.
I wish you could have seen how excited I was
after opening a gift with a Baby Bop toy inside.
Ohh, how I loved that dinosaur.

While we are on the subject of birthdays,
mine was the 20th of December in that video.
In fact, it still is the 20th of December.
Crazy how that date never changes?
I was also born in the year 1991.
Do some quick math right now!
That's right friends,
I turn 21 this year.
And I can about guarantee that Baby Bop is not on the top of my wish list.
Perhaps I really have grown up after all.
Then again, I am reminding you of a birthday that is not for another 4-months.
I think I will always be a child at heart when it comes to birthdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your kind words :)