Saturday, November 24, 2012

Go Ahead, Make My Day...

 Happy Saturday everyone!
I hope you all had enjoyable Thanksgivings.
Also, if you are reading this, that means you survived Black Friday!
Kudos to you!
While you were all out shopping,
I was up early as well--
however, I was working at the nursing home while
you guys were probably picking up the hot buys!
{I've been out on Black Friday before...
Trust me when I say, 
I know how crazy that day is...
I think I shall stick to full-prices from now on.}
Since I have been pretty busy, 
I decided today would be a great day to use a post from my Tumblr account,
I switched from Tumblr to Blogger in July, 
so I have some posts that I would like to transfer eventually.
Since my brain is mush at the moment,
today is the perfect day to recycle a post.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 *********************************************************************************
Have you ever thought about how much a simple compliment can make a person’s day? I hadn’t put a lot of thought to compliments until today. For some reason, I received all kinds of compliments at work that brightened my day.
“We’re going to miss you when you go back to school in August. You are such a hard-worker.”
(They must have caught me on a good day.)

“I saw you running last night. You always look so pretty, even when you’re running.”
(Ohhh honey, you should have seen me after mile 7!)

“Say, you look good in purple.” -elderly man that comes into the cafeteria
(Clearly, he wanted me to slip him an extra meatball on trayline.)
I couldn’t believe all of these comments—all literally within a half-hour of each other.
I could get used to this. But do you notice how I have an excuse for every compliment I received? This is how my brain works. While I’m usually flattered by compliments, they also make me uncomfortable. Does anyone else have this same problem? Half the time I don’t even know what to say. Do I say, “Oh no no, it was no big deal?”

James Taylor once said “I can take criticisms but not compliments.” Clearly, I’m not the only one who has this struggle. (Not to compare myself to James Taylor or anything.)

So how do we handle this discomfort?
Say “thanks.”
Genius.
It really is as simple as that.
Nothing more, nothing less. 

While I was going through my daily tasks at work, I also began thinking about how easy it is to give compliments.
This past week, I have been in an unusually good mood at work.
When I’m in these moods, I’m a lot chattier with my co-workers.
The nursing home I work at is also connected to the hospital.
One of the ladies that works in the hospital office came into load up on her daily dose of coffee.
She had the cutest shoes on her little feet!!
Usually I notice things I like but I never actually say anything,
but I just had to tell her how much I loved her shoes that day.
It only took about 2 seconds, but I could tell that I brought a smile to her face.

Why don’t we say what’s on our minds more often?
(well, the good things, of course.)
Compliments make both  the giver and the receiver feel better.
Chris Rock once said ,”There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments.”
You basically hit the nail on the head, Mr. Rock.
I admit, I appreciate the occasional compliment, water is essential,
and this girl NEEDS her food!!!
So next time you see an outfit you like, say so. If your friend ran a 5k for the first time or the hundredth time, congratulate them.
Go ahead, make my day…seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like this year black friday was a little crazier then usual! I did get some good deals though:) I agree about compliments.. I always try to compliment everyone when I can. Even if it's the cashier at Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Opening stores at 8pm on Thanksgiving?! Craziness!
      Thanks for stopping by, Laurie! :)

      Delete

I love your kind words :)