Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Senses

Have you ever noticed that there is a particular feeling that comes with the holiday season?
Not only that, but there are so many sights and smells that are associated with this time of year.
It all begins at Thanksgiving.
I wake up in the morning to the sound of my mom preparing the turkey dinner.
Soon I can smell the aromas mixing throughout the house--
the windows fogging up.
I flip on the television to idly watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
No matter how old I get,
the balloons will always appear to majestically tower over the streets of NYC.
By the end of the parade, 
Santa has arrived and I know the holidays are quickly approaching.
While I generally do not join the Black Friday chaos,
I hear and see plenty of it on the news.
Eventually, I work up the courage to face the rushing crowds 
for my own holiday shopping.
Usually I am joined with my mom or a good friend.

In the midst of the madness, 
I inhale the scents of my favorite holiday candles--
Slatkin and Co. has a way of capturing every aroma of the season
and moving my heart enough to open my wallet to stock up for the season.
Along with the shopping scene comes the baking.
Sugar cookies.
Peanut Butter Blossoms.
Lefse.
Fudge.
These foods define the season and the calories and fat associated...
well let's just say, they certainly give reason for those daunting New Year's resolutions.

 
 
 
 
 Let us not forget the change in scenery at churches across the country.
The entire atmosphere at church changes to greet the birth of our savior.
And I thought I was pretty spoiled for my 21st birthday this year.
We dedicate an entire time of year to celebrate Jesus' birth
and I love it.
The guy who brought us salvation deserves the biggest celebration of the year.

While some people come to despise the Christmas music that comes with this time of year,
I can't get enough of it.
And don't even get me started on my adoration for the decorations.
Love.
Love.
Love.
I am a bit excited to get my hands on some after Christmas sales
to stock up on decor for next year.

I just finished primping for the Christmas Eve service at my home church.
I am actually reading one of the lessons for today.
Let's hope I don't make too big of a fool of myself.
Fingers crossed.
Afterwards, my family will be joining my grandparents at their home
for yet some more food and gifts.

I can't wait to discover more senses that come with this time of year.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!
 

P.S. I wrote this before church earlier but I waited til after the festivities to post. :)

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas! I hope your day is merry and bright!

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)