Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Resolutions

It’s that time of the year again, where everyone becomes ambitious
and makes lofty New Year’s Resolutions. 
In the past, I always would tell myself-
“Alright Amanda, it’s a New Year! Let’s make a big change.” 
I swear, I’ve tried every goal you can imagine.
 I remember one year I wanted to become a vegetarian, 
because I had heard that a slim celebrity chose that lifestyle for personal reasons. 
Well...that goal lasted about one day until my stomach took over with its cravings and said-
 “Vegetarian?!? Are you crazy, lady? You enjoy chicken way too much for that business.”
 Don’t even get me started on the number of times 
I have attempted/failed to give up chocolate or  sweets in general. 
This explains a lot...
Every time I tell my body “No! you can’t have that,” 
the cravings become more urgent than normal. 
You better be out of my line of traffic as I dart for the first piece of candy I see. 
I know I can’t be alone with these failed resolutions. 
It seems that whenever we try to completely restrict ourselves from a certain part of our life, it becomes just that much more tempting.

This year, I am trying a new approach to my New Year’s resolutions.
My hope is that it will help me to actually stick with them.
 First, I decided to limit the number of resolutions. 
In the past, I would try to tell myself that I am Super Woman
by piling on too many goals at one time.
 Instead of accomplishing some of my goals, I ended accomplishing none. 
Surprise, surpise-I'm not Super Woman after all. 
Next, I focused my resolutions on the mind, body and soul
I wanted to incorporate all aspects of myself,
 because I feel each is equally important. 
Here is what I decided to focus on this year:

Mind:
 Read one article each day from the "Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics" that I receive monthly.
I have always had good intentions of reading them, but something usually seems more appealing. Since research for the area of nutrition is constantly broadening, I feel that it is imperative for me to continue to stay educated on what is currently being examined. 

Body
Drink 8 glasses of water every day.
 I will admit, I have been terrible with my fluid intake lately. I tend to go in streaks.
Since I am fully aware of how important water is to your body and focus throughout the day,
this needs to be a priority in my life. To make it happen, I am planning on keeping tallies of the glasses I have consumed, as I consume them, throughout my day in my new agenda book from Target.

Soul:

Set aside a special time for prayer each day.
  I have been anything but a good 'prayer' lately. Not only that, but when I do pray,
it tends to be when I am asking for something. God has blessed me with so many good things in my life. Why don't I take more time to talk with Him and thank Him for those aspects of my life?
It's a million dollar question...
but I plan on spending time each day working on this area of my life.


There you have it--
my aspirations for this New Year!
I know it is cliche, but I have a feeling this will be one of the best years yet.

What are your goals for the upcoming year and how do you plan on sticking with them?


Photobucket
P.S. Congrats to Brie over at Breezy Pink Daisies 
for winning my "Favorite Things"
giveaway!
Thank you all for entering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your kind words :)