Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What Could you do with 60 years?

60 seconds..The time it takes me to throw away a perfectly good workout with sweets.
60 minutes...The time it takes me to drive to my hometown from here, speeding, perhaps.
60 hours...The number of hours I should spend exercising after my poor holiday eating habits.
60 days...Just 12 days short of the length of Kim Kardashian's marriage to Kris Humphries.
60 weeks...The number of weeks in which I will be panicking about graduation and internships.
60 months...The number of months I hope to be settled into my career.

60 years...The number of years my sweet grandparents have been married.

This past weekend, my family gathered to celebrate 60 glorious years of marriage.
Quite frankly, it seems like just yesterday that I sat impatiently in the car for the 
four hour drive to my grandparents' home in Northern Minnesota to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
I came across this picture from 10 years ago
5th grade wasn't that long ago...right?
Lately, I have really noticed how quickly time flies.
It is a bit frightening, to say the least.
If I ever want to see 60 years of marriage, heck 30 hears of marriage...
I better find myself a man pronto.
I don't think I will be able to celebrate that many years of companionship with my future dog.
Ahh well.
We can't have it all.


My grandparents shared some stories of their wedding while they were in town.
My grandma was barely 18 years old when they tied the knot.
Can you imagine?
She and my grandpa waited about a week after my grandma's 18th birthday
before getting married.
They wanted to be able to be legally married without parental consent.
The most humorous memory of the day was when my grandpa's brother put Limburger cheese 
on the heater of the car as a joke.
Little did he know, the joke was on him as he was the one who had to the drive the car home.
My grandparents also spent time with the parents during their honeymoon of all times!!!
If I ever do end up getting married, 
I don't think my parents will be invited.
Sorry, mom and dad.
 
We were just missing a few members of the family,
but we had a great time.
My cousin, Jenny, surprised us by making a trip from LA for the occasion.

After supper, we went back to my home and laughed over memories
of when my mom and her siblings were younger.
Our night ended with my cousin's boot getting stuck as she was zipping it up.
We had almost every person working on that boot at some point.
How many Norwegians does it take to zip a boot?

 The next day, we gathered for a family meal.
My cousin had missed out on the traditional Christmas foods of
meatballs, lutefisk, and rice pudding,
so we had another Christmas-y meal.

I was feeling about as tired as this little guy after
consuming so many holiday foods in the past month.


My Aunt Carol is a regular Julia Child.
No, really, try her food and you will be saying "Bon Apetit!"
I promise I won't tell you how much butter went into the mashed potatoes...
let's just say, Julia would be proud.

It was great having my grandparents in town to celebrate their big day.
Happy Anniversary, grandma and grandpa!
Shall we start planning for the 70th?!















 

2 comments:

  1. I nominated you for a Liebster award! Check it out! http://bit.ly/XgCakB

    Have fun!

    xoxo,
    Gayle @ www.graceforgayle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! 60 years is a long, long time! I'll have to live till I'm 79 if I want to be married that long! Congratulations to them, and that looks like a wonderful time for your family!

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)