Friday, February 8, 2013

When Opportunities call...

When life hands you opportunites,
take them
and
RUN!

Since graduating from high school in a small community,
I have been blessed with tremendous opportunities in the university setting.
However, if I hadn't actively sought involvement in organizations,
I never would have been presented with the opportunities that I have been associated
with over the past couple of years.
For example, 
during my sophomore year of college, 
I realized that I probably hadn't pushed myself as hard as I could have
with my involvement in student organizations.
I had been very involved with the University Lutheran Center during my freshman year.
In fact, some of my best friends have been those that I grew close to on
our Spring Break mission trip to Los Angeles.
That trip is a perfect example of where an opportunity can take you in life. 
Otherwise, except for the ULC, I really hadn't stretched myself to stay active on campus.
The summer before sophomore year,
I decided to take initiative to reach for more out of my college experience. 
I took chances and emailed professors--whom I had never met--
and asked about opportunities within research and volunteering areas.
Soon that request turned into leading a scholarship supported research project with one professor
and obtaining an undergraduate Health and Nutritional Sciences Conference coordinator position
with other faculty members.
You see, 
we can worry about what other people think of us when we go out on a limb and make an inquiry...
Where will that get us?
Or we can risk being rejected and take that leap forward?
 
The choice is yours.
 
I have come to the realization that sometimes we need to take a few steps out
of our comfort zones to continue to grow in life.
That is exactly what I have been doing the past couple days.
As the Peer Minister of Development at the University Lutheran Center
at South Dakota State University,
I work with alumni and area congregations to raise support for our student ministry.
With this position, 
I was able to connect with ALDE (Association of Lutheran Development Executives.)
To make a long story short,
as I write this,
I am in a Mariott hotel room in the midst of downtown Indianapolis.
When I was given this offer to travel out to Indiana by myself,
I could have taken the easy route and said, 
"Nah. I don't feel comfortable traveling alone.
I've never done it before."
or
"Well I'm not going to know anyone there anyway,
so it probably won't be any fun."
 
Instead, I told myself that this is a fantastic opportunity to learn from
some of the top development gurus in the country and I know that I have plenty to learn in the area.
So I packed up my bags...
got on the plane by myself...
(was delayed a couple hours in Chicago)...
and
Ta-Da!
Here I am.

 So the moral of the story is:
Take a chance. You never know,
you may end up on a trip to Indy with a king size bed to yourself.

Okay. 
Maybe I wouldn't quite word my message that way,
but you get the idea.

  Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wow, these are the exact feelings and thoughts I've been having today! Especially this afternoon when I decided to go around campus and run errands I've been putting off like talking to professors and getting involved with the Spanish center at my school.

    Life, especially college life, starts when you go out of your comfort zone. And one thing I'm realizing is that it's going to be harder than it sounds. But then like you said awesome opportunities can come! Like a trip with a king's size bed to yourself!

    That's actually happened to me in college too, believe it or not! It was nice to relax in the hotel when I had time!

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your experiences, Gina! College provides so many amazing opportunities if only you take the time to seek them and get involved.

      Have a great Sunday! :-)

      Delete
  2. yes! i could totally relate to this post!!
    life is never like anyone ever expects it to be!!

    stumbled onto your blog! Hope that you are having a great weekend!

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I have quickly learned that the path that I am currently on is generally not where I ever would have expected to end up.

      Have a great Sunday! :-)

      Delete

I love your kind words :)