Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Comparisons


 
 "She is so much skinnier than me."
"I work so hard, but my boss recognizes everyone, except me."
"What's the point in even applying for this award,
I'm never going to be good enough anyway."

Comparisons.

If I could do some sort of dissection of the female mind
and unravel the need behind incessantly comparing ourselves to one another,
I would--in a heart beat.
But then again, I'm not smart enough for such a task.

There you have it.
 We females can't even make a point about how we compare ourselves
to each other, without comparing ourselves to one another.
 Comparisons, by themselves, can be a good thing.
If we look at the history of others and become inspired by their actions,
we are capable of bettering ourselves in the future.
However, when we allow ourselves to be consumed by our comparisons,
that is when we have a problem.

 I've thought about how I compare myself to others in the past.
However, today, I took a moment to really listen to the messages that 
I was communicating to myself.
As I was walking to class this morning, my yoga pants dragging on the ground,
I came up behind a group of two girls in leggings just in front of me. 
I could tell from their matching backpacks that they were teammates from
the cross country team on campus. 
Upon realizing this, my mind immediately switched to comparison mode.
Looking down at my own thighs, trucking along in faded black yoga pants
I thought,
"I was in cross country in high school,
how come my legs aren't as little as those girls'?"

The thing about these comparisons is that we rarely take time to think
realistically about the messages we are sending ourselves
and how they affect our self-image.
If I would have taken a moment to analyze what I was thinking,
I would have realized a number of things.
First, I am not a cross country runner anymore.
Second, even so, I am still a healthy individual who takes
care of herself through proper nourishment and exercise.
Finally, I am not 5'2", nor will I ever be...
unless I somehow develop a disease that causes me to shrink.
Otherwise, there really is no reason for me to fret over not weighing
120 pounds in my 5'11" body.
Besides, what does all of this pining solve anyway?
By agonizing over how well I come across in comparison to others,
what am I really accomplishing here?

I know I am not alone in this.
I hear girls, and boys, complaining about their bodies
day in and day out.

I wish I could offer an ingenious solution to this dilemma.
However, I can only offer my words of wisdom.
Acknowledge those comparisons when you make them.
Question why you are making them.
Determine whether the comparison who are making is even realistic.
Finally, remember that you will still be the same person whether you
compare yourself to others or not.
So why risk making yourself feel insecure along the way?

And if you can't take it from me,
Dr. Seuss is always reliable.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, 
because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. 

 Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. love your heart, and so excited to have you on my sidebar!! :)

    XO
    Erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)