Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's in my Lunch Bag? {WIAW}

This week, I started the first of my 80 practicum hours
that I must complete as a part of my dietetics major.
For those of you unfamiliar with the term,
a practicum is similar to job shadowing--except I pay for it in the form of credits...
$556.00, to be exact.
(My bank account hasn't exactly been liking this whole concept.)
Over the course of the past semester, I have been in correspondence
with dietitians in Minnesota and South Dakota, lining up my hours.
I will be completing 40 hours this month
and finishing off with another dietitian in July.

Since my practicum days are pretty jam-packed,
I have been packing my lunches the night before.
To show you some of the foods I have been eating,
I decided to link-up for another "What I Ate Wednesday."

When I arrive at the clinic, I stow my lunch bag away,
but I keep my water with me at all times.
Gotta stay hydrated!
 
 
Since my preceptor is nearly an hour from my residence,
I have also been packing my breakfast to eat on-the-go.
Lately, I have been eating Yoplait Berries Greek Yogurt (fat-free) with fresh fruit.
Today, I added mango, kiwi, and strawberries.
 
 
Instant coffee has been a lifesaver on these early mornings.
 While I am racing around the house,
I pour some skim milk into my favorite to-go mug and heat in the microwave.
I add one packet of the Caramel Starbucks instant-coffee
that I received in my April Cara Box.


Now that I am on my summer break,
I have been all about having more variety in my diet.
If you are familiar with some of the recommendations of MyPlate,
then you may be familiar with the concept of "eating the rainbow."
In other words, you should strive to consume a wide variety of
fruits and vegetables in all colors.
Today, I had a salad prepared with romaine lettuce, spinach leaves and kale.
Want to work on increasing your folate intake?
This salad would definitely help in that area!
I also, added some banana peppers, black beans, and avocado to the salad.
(In the picture, they are buried by the kale I piled on top.)
Normally, I drizzle a light vinaigrette over the top.
However, in my rush to get moving this morning,
I completely forgot to put any dressing over top.
Oops!
I guess my salad was extra healthy today.
I also had some of the fruit that I cut-up for my breakfast.
I don't normally purchase mangos,
so it was fun adding this to my meal.
 
Later in the afternoon,
I had some guacamole that I made the night before.
I don't even know how to describe my love for avocados.
I really didn't start eating much for avocados until last summer
when I started experimenting with food more.
Now I can't imagine life without this heaven-sent food.
When I make a quick guacamole,
I simply mash up the avocados and mix-in some medium salsa.
Occasionally, I add some lemon juice as well.
Today, I ate the dip with some reduced-fat wheat thins. 
 

There you have it: my lunch for the day.
Now that I have more time to plan my meals,
I am excited to continue experimenting with all of the in-season produce.
 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your kind words :)