Monday, June 3, 2013

Through Rain or Shine

 
When I was growing up, 
I always sort of wished I had a sister. 
Sorry, Erik.
Brothers are great, but they serve very
little purpose in allowing me to borrow steal their clothes, etc.
Although, now that I think about it,
I'm fairly certain that I have still worn a hand-me-down a time or two over the years.
Regardless, there is a special bond between girls that no guy will ever be able to measure up to.
So if I can't have a sister, 
(unless you're counting my pup, Maggie--my dad calls her my sister occasionally), 
at least I can have some fantastic friends in my life.
 
 For as long as I can recall,
I've had a great appreciation for the special sisterhood females of all ages share.
Speaking the of sisterhood,
those Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books
were a must on my summer reading list.
Did it matter that I had already read them several times?
Nope.
The magic of those girls' ability to stay connected though they were miles apart--encountering completely different situations--
was able to pull the strings of my heart every time.
I'm still deciding whether or not I should be embarrassed that I actually went to a thrift store once
and bought a pair of jeans that I thought would magically fit my best friend, Alyssa and me. 
Well it turns out that perhaps magical pants don't exist. 
But these magical bonds do exist.



A couple weeks ago, my roommates and I were
able to take time out of our summer work schedules to spend time together
to celebrate my longtime friend, Tasha's birthday.
In fact, Tasha and I were even debate partner's in high school.
I swear, we're not as nerdy as we sound.
Though pictures from our high school trips may prove otherwise.
Luckily, we've grown up over the years and went to our very first vineyard.
You never would have guessed a vineyard could exist in the tundra of South Dakota,
did you?
We sampled some of their original wines and even brought back a bottle to enjoy later.

 After, we ventured off to McCrory gardens for
a photo session.

Not even the rain could put a damper on our day.

 Lately, the roomies and I have been on a Sex and the City kick.
Though the language may be a rather crude and the subject matter a bit...
well, the name is pretty self explanatory...
I love how closely knit the group of women are with one another. 
They talk about anything and everything.
Seriously, nothing is off limits. 
It seems that every episode,
Carrie Bradshaw leaves us with some sort of quote.
I have to admit, I love her ability to relate just about anything to fashion.
Though a fictional character, she has a way with words,
especically rhetorical questions.
However, one of my favorite quotes from the leading lady is:
 
"Maybe our girlfriends are our soul mates, 
and guys are just people to have fun with. "

Sure, it's nice to have a guy around.
However, it is comforting to know that your girls
have always got your back.



 
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome post! I am in love with the Sisterhood series as well and I often read them every summer too!

    And haha to trying on jeans in a thrift store! So fun!

    And that quote about soul mates and guys--I totally agree. Someone told me that our soul mates are the people you bring out the best version of ourselves so I think that our soul mates could be anyone :) Our best friends, especially.

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete

I love your kind words :)